Sunday 1 February 2015

The Gift of Neuroplasticity

The lifesavers called chemotherapy and radiotherapy have side effects. One is chemo/radiation brain, also known as brain fog. If you get both treatments, as I did for lymphoma, that effect can be greater. 

So, what happens? We know that some of the connections between neurons—brain cells—are lost. That leads to losses in concentration, short-term memory and multitasking.  The effects may be compounded by depression and/or post-traumatic stress disorder as patients come to grips with their new reality. 

Functional MRI showing changes in the brain after chemotherapy
I certainly experienced this after my therapy and release. After four months in hospital, I was thirty pounds lighter than when I went in, and I could barely climb the stairs, let alone deal with complex cognitive tasks. Good nutrition and daily exercise enabled me to return to work after another year, but I was not up to my usual speed.

Then something happened. I changed my bike route, a trail through the Watershed Park that I routinely took for daily exercise. When a fallen tree blocked it one day, I took a different trail. As I rode along, a memory appeared, a joyful recollection of riding along that path years before with my then-young son. A connection to my earlier life had come back. I tried another trail. Same thing, that time with a painful memory of falling off my bike and dislocating my finger.

I explored trail after trail until a flood of memories overwhelmed me. It told me that the key to full brain recovery is rooted in stimulating old memories and challenging the brain in creative ways.

That led me to research. In the past, it was thought that damage to the brain is permanent. Over the last decade or so, the concept of neuroplasticity has gained traction. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to adapt and change by modifying existing neural networks and creating new ones. The neural network is a pattern of connections of neurons that fire in sequence and allow us to accomplish complex tasks. "Neurons that fire together wire together" (D.Hebb).


The complex network of trails in the Watershed Park. Using a variety of trails has revived a variety of connections. 


The complex network of neurons in the brain (schematic). Using a variety of pathways strengthens a variety of connections.
This brings us to BDNF, or Brain Derived Neurotropic Factor, a protein that supports the survival of existing neurons and encourages the growth of new neurons in the brain. We know that BDNF is increased with regular exercise and the ingestion of omega 3 fatty acids as found in oily fish. It looks like that effect is far greater when the exercise challenges the body and mind in new and interesting ways every day.

So let's get out our old Eric Clapton albums or get out and Zumba or take some new old routes.
Steve with Al Jenkins after R2S 

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your discoveries inspire us to change our walking routes, try different types of exercise, and use ground flax seed more often. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post, Steve. I'm going to take your advice! And I'm so happy you're doing well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post is really good providing good information.. I liked it and enjoyed reading it. Keep sharing such important posts. omega 3 nutrasea

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is no secret that I have a very deep and personal relationship with God. I have pushed and resisted that relationship this past year through all the bullshit I have had to go through living with Herpes but once again, God is bigger than my stubbornness and broke through that outbreak cold sore and all I had Genital Herpes. For me personally, hearing over and over how I am not good enough has really invaded my mind in the worst way possible. I completely shut down and I was just waking up like is this how life going to end this temporary herpes outbreak “fuck everybody with herpes if you know what I mean” but let's be honest here...
    It is a cowardly to say no to herbal medicine. It is fear based. And it is dishonest to what my heart wants. Don't build a wall around yourself because you are afraid of herbals made or taking a bold step especially when it's come to health issues and getting cure. So many young men/ women tell me over and over that Dr Itua is going to scam me but I give him a try to today I feel like no one will ever convince me about herbal medicine I accept Dr Itua herbal medicine because it's cure my herpes just two weeks of drinking it and i have been living for a year and months now I experience outbreak no more, You can contact him if you need his herbal medicine for any such diseases like, Herpes, Hepatitis, HIV, Epilepsy, Infertility, Love Spell,. Email..drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com then what's app.+2348149277967.... My advice to any sick men/women out there is simple... Be Always an open book. Be gut wrenching honest about yourself, your situation, and what you are all about. Don't hold anything back. Holding back will get you nowhere...maybe a one way ticket to lonelyville and that is NOT somewhere you want to be. So my final truth...and I'm just starting to grasp this one..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello

    Get cured from herpes just in 2 weeks..

    I am now free from Herpes.

    (The best herbal remedyâ€)

    You can contact him …………….

    robinsonbuckler11{{gmail}} com,,

    ReplyDelete