Thursday 19 October 2017

Six Year Check Up

Wow! Are we overdue for an update! Last week, I completed my 6-year follow-up post transplant. Yes. That is indeed 6 years! And all is clear. My doctors have now told me "You're not likely to see that one again."

Not that there haven't been bumps in the road. Last February I ended up in hospital for a week with bilateral pneumonia. I was found to have an immune deficiency as a result of my therapy. After antibiotics and weekly immune globulin shots, I have been infection-free. It helps to pull back from the walk-in clinic and focus on the family practice and teaching. And I have now returned to the sports I love.

Penticton Bike Trip
 Leo, the family cat, rescued a fallen bird from the ground, not once but twice, and then bonded with it. We nursed it back to health and launched it into the trees. We think we hear its trill periodically and wonder if it has found its clan.
Leo and his new friend, Tweety.
As some of you may know, Caroline and I have separated. Even good marriages with great kids sometimes take different directions. I am grateful that I now have a new special person in my life.

Steve and Sylvia
I went on to break two ribs doing sports (I know, I need to be more careful) and spent the summer healing. The best therapy of all was floating around in the Mediterranean Sea, eating good food and relaxing with family and friends.

Now, the summer smoke has abated, fall is here, and life goes on.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man.” Heraclitus 475 BC

Sunset swim in Skopelos, Greece.

3 comments:

  1. We are happy you are healthy again, Steve! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete