Monday 29 August 2011

Successful OneMatch Event and the Road Ahead

George Yioldasis
One Match Stem Cell Donor Awareness Event held at the Vancouver Hellenic Community Centre was a great success, with terrific music coordination from Mark Ferris and the Yaletown String Quartet
This was followed by Bouzouki Solo by George Yioldasis, and more Greek Music by Mousiki Parea, and then the Finale by Wanting Qu. Many new donors registered on the available computers, and One Match Reps answered lots of questions. Great Food, and good support from the community all round.
Mark Ferris(left) and the Yaletown String Quartet
Steve expresses appreciation for his family

My brother Andy Larigakis planned and coordinated the event, Claudia Ferris capably MC'ed and rest of family from both sides did a fabulous job of entertaining and informing the the community about this opportunity to save a life.
Mousiki Parea




Recording Artist Wanting Qu

Stem Cell Recipient and Cancer Survivor and Cyclist Rob Nagel and his mom--in-law

Gelato at White Rock Pier with Zoe & Caroline
This week is testing week, where I get poked and prodded to ensure I am fit to tolerate the procedure, and admission to VGH is Sept 8 with my transplant on Sept 14, which becomes my second birthday. I am told to expect to be in hospital for 4-6 weeks and not feel well enough to take visitors except immediate family.

It has been intimated that my donor is a young woman and I will take on her blood type and gender, so I told my daughter to hold me back if I get crazy with the shopping. She said, "Don't worry Dad, I'll just embrace it"


The Road Ahead


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. Larigakis!

    Glad to see the event was a great success! I am sorry I couldn't make it but I am definately interested to learn more about donating.

    I just wanted to wish you lots of luck with your up-and-coming procedure and a super speedy recovery. I see that you will not be able to have visitors but you will always be in my thoughts. Look forward to more posts on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    Glad to hear that treatment is going well. As I work at VGH, I will check up on your progress while at work.
    Sending postive thoughts and prayers your way in the next phase of your treatment.
    Kim:)

    ReplyDelete