Sunday 7 August 2011

"Clinical Remission"

After a fantastic retreat to Long Beach with friends, we have returned home with body and spirit renewed and good news. The new medication I have been on for the last 14 days has taken away virtually all my symptoms and we are cautiously using the term clinical remission. I have more energy and am able to get out and do things again like shopping and light gardening. It is my 4th line chemotherapy and was provided by special release from Ottawa at a cost of $10,000 per month, and appears to be my salvation.

The other good news is that I have been confirmed to have a match for my bone marrow transplant, and the procedure could proceed as early as a month from now. The response to the public OneMatch.ca has been phenomenal and I thank everyone who has participated so far and those who tried but were denied registry because of age (who says 50 is getting old?). The drive will continue, and although it may not now benefit me, it will benefit many others for years to come and will continue to raise awareness in the community.

                      As my doctor said to me last week, "We were all due for a break!"

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dr Larigakis:)

    This is great news & so happy you're feeling better & able to do more & that there is a match!
    It's wonderful that you have finally found a drug that is working. I think you are definitely getting back some of your taxes!

    Long Beach is a beautiful spot & always great for renewal. I'm going to the beach too very soon for holiday on Whidbey Island & over to Olympic Peninsula & hoping to do more this year with no loose screws! I will be thinking of you with every great photo I take. Very happy for you. Take good care & carpe diem!
    You're in my thoughts & prayers.

    Big hug!
    Alanna K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dr.Larigakis!Our family has been following your blog since I saw your wife a few weeks ago!Mick and I were feeling bad that we were too old to help you out.He then said to me maybe they could use you,you are only 49 and a half!:)So reading this tonight we are all so happy to hear that you have found a match and that you are feeling better!The Yzerman Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful news!!!!!!!!!!
    thinking of you and your family.
    sounds like you had a great time in Long Beach

    So so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dr. Larigakis!

    I just phoned to make an appointment this morning and was told the news. What the heck. Sounds like things are looking really good though with a match and also with the new medication so that is great to hear! Let us know if there is anything we can do for you. Glad you had a nice time at Long Beach - always wanted to get there myself. Will follow your blog and thanks for sharing, it really means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dr. Larigakis,
    Just found out about your cancer and wanted send some wonderful healing good thoughts your way. Thanks for setting up your blog to track your progress and so happy to hear about your new medication and its benefits so far.

    I always felt like you could relate to me as a patient due to our similiar ages (and our kids too) as Kurtis just graduated from high school this year also and Jordon is in his 2nd year at BCIT. You provided great care for our family for the past 17 years and hope its okay that I share a funny memory here. (Mike always tells this story if the subject of vasectomies ever comes up.) He remembers how uncomfortable it was having to chit chat while the “work” was being performed but then after, you were both in line at the cafeteria for a sandwich and you forgot your wallet so he had to pay for you.

    So he says, not only did my Dr. cut into my private parts, I had to buy him lunch after !!

    Take care and all the best for your speedy recovery.
    The Dinsmore Family - Delta

    ReplyDelete