Tuesday 24 May 2011

seeing the oncologist

Today was my intake appointment with my oncologist. We reviewed the history and he did his physical examination. He was able to clarify the diagnosis with me and Caroline.  Angioimmunoblastic T cell lymphoma. A rare and aggressive form of lymphoma.  I start chemotherapy tomorrow, once every 3 weeks, and after about 6 cycles I could be getting a bone marrow transplant.  Fortunately, I have lots of relatives nearby and finding a good match should be easy.

It may sound odd, but I am really looking forward to the chemo tomorrow, as it is likely the only thing that will get rid of this darn itch.

6 comments:

  1. Geez Steve, you know life is completely upside down and inside out when you find yourself looking forward to chemo...:-(

    Can you explain to an arts-major like me roughly how bone-marrow matching works? Is it like donating blood--anyone can do it? Or is it very much "by invitation only"?

    I'll be sending lots of love your way tomorrow...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. In case anyone wants to read about T lymphocytes just go here:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T_cell

    In the picture the red blood cell looks like a jelly donut and the T-cell (according to Gloria) looks like a Sesame Ball (Zeen Duy).

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/Red_White_Blood_cells.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve - it's Mike Ball here. I was at UBC on the swim team when you were diving. Kim Smith (nee Austin) sent the link to your blog. Just wanted you to know I'm sending you good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve - I was at your office today and got the news. Instead of sending you this message, I was anticipating a discussion about the upcoming Ride2survive. Sending you strength and courage for the biggest "ride" of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steven,
    We all remain optimistic in your complete recovery. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as you deal with this unexpected hurdle. This shall pass and will serve to remind you of the many friends that care about you.
    With love & support, The Skopelos Connection!

    ReplyDelete