Saturday 26 November 2011

Grey Cup Weekend

I realize that 2 weeks have passed since my last update and guess not that much has happened to write about. I am still in hospital on therapy for the Graft vs Host disease, a common complication of bone marrow transplants, especially slightly mismatched ones like mine. Once it sunk in that there is no quick fix, I have settled into a routine here in my second home and buckled down for the long haul.

One of those routines is the daily jigsaw puzzle with Caroline. Who would have thought? Yet here we are puzzling away, often for a couple of hours in a day. They are habit forming and fun.


Gratefully, my steroid dose has been reduced without adverse consequences, and I have been able to move my muscles more purposefully. Regular resistance exercises mean I am more mobile and have gained almost a kilo of mass.

I am still dependent on TPN (IV nutritition) for most of my calories, but as my gut settles down and I process food better, I will be able to taper off the TPN and come home again.

It is Grey Cup Weekend, and even though I am holding a soccer ball, I plan to watch the game and eat chips. After that exciting Western final, there is a palpable excitement in the city over the game and it should be great entertainment. Go Lions, Go!

Grateful for all the warm wishes you are sending, and they continue to pull me through the darker moments that are inevitable.

6 comments:

  1. You've halted the weight loss and now you're gaining mass. That's great news! You're on the upward path. Keep getting stronger, Steve. God bless!
    What a win for the Lions, our new Grey Cup champions.
    Vicky and Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve,
    I think of you every time I'm at work just a few floors below you (8th). Unfortunately we have all the nasty bugs - MRSA, VRE etc that you don't want any part of and for this reason I stay away.
    Nice to see you smiling and great news that you are "gaining mass". My thoughts and prayers are with you in your battle.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope u feel and get better as soon as possible, our thoughts r with u and I'm so happy that i read u gaining weight, we miss u!

    Katsoulis Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes Steve, and sending you positive vibes as I make my appointment for a visit to the blood donor clinic next week in WR. Your blog updates are posted in the doctors lounge at PAH and I know everyone here is thinking of you too. Here's hoping you'll be home for Christmas!!
    Barbara Robertson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dr. Steve,
    I often think of you and hope that all is going as well as possible for you and also your family.  Charmaine and I check your blog now and then to see how your doing.  Hopefully you'll be with all your family at Christmas in the comfort of your home.  
    All the best,
    Roy Soby
    (patient)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi Dr. Steve It's always so wonderful to see pictures of you smiling, I can't imagine all that you go through but i have to let you know reading your blogs makes me and all your followers even more aware than before how amazing you are. keep strong my thoughts and prayers are being sent to you.

    Lynn Groenheyde (patient)

    ReplyDelete