Saturday 11 June 2011

Time for the Buzzcut

"Where is your bike?" asked my hairdresser. She had gotten used to seeing me arrive on my bike over the years, and even let me bring it inside and lean it up against the hair care display. As expected from the chemotherapy, my hair had been falling out over the past week.  In the beginning I managed to hold it together with generous helpings of hair gel. But the day before Caroline tried to run her fingers through my hair and lifted off a large clump, so it was time to go in and get the Cut. For a moment I had a mohawk, then it was all gone. Now it just feels cool and clean.

My parents roots in Greece come from agronomists (farmers) on my father's side, and sea captains on my mother's side. I couldn't see myself wearing a large farmers hat all day, so I chose the Greek seafarer or fisherman's hat, nicely customized for comfort by Caroline.

As far as health goes, I am feeling pretty good right now, enjoying the view and responding to emails and having meals with the family. I even finished my second novel yesterday, which is a rarity for me.  The fever has been a little more persistent than expected, but all the tests for infection are negative and the plan is to hit me with more chemo next week, which should resolve the fever. I had my BMT consult yesterday and we will be starting with tests on my brother and sister for a match. Fingers crossed.

Next week is a big family week also, with our son's return from McGill after his first year there, and our
daughter's graduation from High School. Household preparations are expectedly busy, with a visit to Costco anticipated. Continued thanks for wellwishes and blog comments...( I think you have to create a google account)

5 comments:

  1. You look very fetching in the hat Steve! Looking forward to seeing all of you later this week for Zoe's grad, it'll be great for you to have Jason back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dr. Steve
    We were saddened to hear the news of your cancer but happy to hear that you're doing so well.
    Perastika!!!

    Niky Goulas
    Family John Goulas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve:
    So sorry to hear of your illness but also know that the cure rates for lymphomas are much improved with the new chemotherapeutic regimes they have now - so lots of room for optimism. Must be difficult to transition from being a physician one day to being a patient so abruptly.
    Will miss you at our Leadership sessions.
    Our prayers and thoughts will be with you.
    Shirley Sze

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, you're so damned handsome you probably even look good cue-ball bald! I think the Greek sailor look works on you.

    I endorse the two novels but question the trip to Costco. Seriously? The samples aren't *that* worth it! ;-)

    A recommendation for a wonderful historic novel set in the Pacific Northwest: Annie Dillard's The Living. Probably one of my most favourite books ever...I lent my copy to my dad so I can't bring you one, but I'll send you one if you haven't read it. Do you have a Kindle or are you reading the old-fashioned way?

    I'm thrilled you will have the kids around...congrats to Zoe for clearing a major milestone! Kathryn graduated with a BSc-with-distinction on Wednesday--woo-hoo! Brad flew in from Beijing for 3 days for the ceremony--too short, but very sweet.

    Lots of love coming your way...J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sherry & I are good friends with Pam Robertson so she told us you had a sexier look these days (I guess she's into bald!!).

    You are probably doing a lot of research on lymphoma. Office sheet does not say if it is Hodgkins or not.

    Here is a review of a book written by Jerry Brunetti who is a non-Hodgkins survivor for over 10 years now.

    http://www.westonaprice.org/dvdmedia-reviews/thumbs-up/1913-cancer-nutrition-and-healing

    Most interesting approach especially where he infused his blood into a cow. Do you have room in your backyard for a nice sized Jersey?

    - David Sinclair

    ReplyDelete