Saturday 9 July 2011

Tour de France

Can you imagine winding your bicycle for over 200 km through little villages and climbing to the road summits of the Alps? This is beautiful, but challenging. Imagine doing this at race pace with 200 other cyclists jostling for position, and doing it every day for 21 days. This is the Tour de France. Now imagine having testicular cancer that has spread to your brain and lungs requiring surgery and chemotherapy, and recovering to win the Tour de France 7 times in a row. This is Lance Armstrong.


Every time I complete a course of chemotherapy, I feel like I have completed a Stage of the Tour de France, and am one step closer to completing the journey to recovery. My good friend Steve came by to help me along the journey. The branches of a tree had grown into the Bell satellite dish and prevented transmission of signals including the Tour, and required decisive surgery to clear the trees. Riding friend Al brought me the definitive guide to the Tour and we were able to sit down and watch Stage 6 on TV.


Zoe and Michaela baked me a nice cake to help celebrate an end to a challenging week. Thanks again for all the cards and prayers. For those wanting to do something more you are encouraged to give blood at Canadian Blood Services, or stem cells at onematch.ca.

6 comments:

  1. Great inspiration from all those things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,
    I walked into the docs lounge today to see a 'facilitator' from the FHA who was there to help docs sort out 'computer problems. Evelyn Shukin sat with this person and was very patient as she explained why the system wasn't working for her. I had to leave the Doc lounge to take care of other business but returned about 10 mins later to see Evelyn and the FHA Facilitator still at it. And no voices were being raised!! (I couldn't believe that. Good for Evelyn.) This reminded me of you when you were also in the doc's lounge spending valuable time to learn how to be 'clerks'. Steve, from that view point you're not missing anything. But speaking of missing, we miss you. We miss your upbeat personality and constant can do attitude. That approach to life and medicine is infectious in a positive way. PAH continues to struggle along keeping its head barely above water. The ORs are constantly over booked, Obstetrics, it turns out, has exceeded its expectations in the the repatriation of patients is creating a load not only on the case room and nursing staff there but also affecting the OR as the absolute number of Caesarean Sections is increasing. But I have been here for 27 years and PAH just tightens its belt and keeps on truckin'. Quality of care is always high due to the commitment of staff. Steve, keep fighting the good fight. Be like Lance.
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gary and Jennifer! That is my plan! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve:

    I just heard about your diagnosis and read your blog. I am really sorry that you have to go through all this, but I am also really hopeful after reading your blog and knowing a little about cancer treatment possibilities. I hope you are doing well now.

    And what a sudden turn of events. After we reconnected briefly through work, I left admiring your success and community leadership. Now to see you as a patient and homebound blogger is a real shock. Makes us all stop and reflect.

    Thanks for sharing your story. I'll be following. My best to you and Caroline.

    Tom Grady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve. Just reviewing your blog posts as a bit of research into my own cancer diagnosis. Saw my own comment here. Yup, it's my turn. Acute Myeloid Leukemia diagnosed in September 2016. I'll keep reading to see how things went for you, and maybe what to expect for me. Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, I can't believe that 5 years after posting a comment in support of my cancer journey, you are now posting about your own similar cancer journey. Another strange turn in life events.
      I wish you the best in your own journey. And to those travelling with you. Please contact me any time.

      Delete