Thursday 8 September 2011

Admission Day

Admission to VGH has arrived today. Remission has maintained and the battery of tests has gone well, so the team is going ahead with the transplant, and I am so grateful.

We have had a wonderful August including the trips to Long Beach and Kelowna, and both kids are now settled into University, and Caroline has resumed some semblance of normality with work. It will be a quiet house with  three of us gone, but Rupert the cat gets to come back inside.

I have 6 days of "conditioning" starting tomorrow, and then my transplant, by simple IV infusion, is now planned for Sept 15. I will be largely cloistered from the outside world in hospital for 4-6 weeks because of germ concerns, but family will still be able to visit at times, and even bring food, like my mom's augolemono soup, or Greek chicken soup.

The cobalt radiation machine shown here is the same generation as the one used for my grandmother almost 40 years ago, and cured her of her cancer at the time.  It reminds me of the Starship Enterprise.

I am now at the state where I am totally ready for this journey, thanks to all the time reflecting, reading, and welcoming the love and prayers and good wishes of all the wonderful people supporting me, and again I am so grateful. For me now, it is time to climb a big hill on my bicycle, maybe Cypress mountain;  relax the body, centre the breathing, and focus the mind, and simply find my rhythm and climb the hill. Eventually, you know there is a plateau, with its rewards.

Addendum: Now admitted and settled in to my private room, complete with wifi, cell phone and room service. Sister Michelle is by for a visit on her lunch hour from City Hall.  Will get into my book shortly.






5 comments:

  1. Steve,
    Thanks for sharing your journey with us. You are truly inspirational. Am sending you all the positive energy and best wishes I can.
    Hugs
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be day 2 of 'conditioning'. Certainly not an experience that many of us have shared, so our imaginations go wild. We do hope that the 'temple' that is your human body bends gently to the stresses and receives its transplant with loving arms! If I may mix my metaphors (regarding the Starship Enterprise), "May the force be with you!"
    We'll be cheering for you, Jennifer and Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Dr.L. We are praying that everything goes well for you. You are in our thoughts and we are sending positive vibes your way!
    Martha & Steve Snidanko

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve, We are thinking about you everyday, all of our thoughts and prayers are heading your way! It was very lovely to be able to spend last Saturday night with you and Caroline and what a beautiful night and gorgeous sunset! see you soon , Monica & Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting patiently with good thoughts and care until your return Geri Fraser

    ReplyDelete