Monday 12 September 2011

Life on the BMT Ward

Settled in to my private room on the 15th floor with a nice view from Shaughnessy to Baker, and learning the rules of the ward and getting familiar with some of the staff and patients here.  Lots of attention to detail, like tracking my large volumes of urine.
Dr Kannadit Prayongratana, fellow
I have quite a team looking after me, including the Staff Man, Fellow, nurse, OT, dietician, dentist, pastoral worker, and assorted therapists and porters. Seems like a big fuss,  but it is nice to have them on your side.

Completed the 3 days of chemotherapy fairly uneventfully. The anti-nauseants make me restless so I have to keep on moving around in my space here,  a challenge for a Type A person.

Had the first of 6 sessions of TBI or Total Body Irradiation which is just lay down and listen to music for 12 minutes, then easy over for 12 more minutes. The interesting part of getting to the TBI is a long ride through the cavernous tunnels of the VGH complex, over to the Cancer Centre.  These tunnels remind me of my days working here as an orderly in the 1980-81 where we scooted over to the nurses residence undetected, and participated in fighting the arson fire in the old radiology department.
Birds eye view of Steve in the tunnel

So, everything is on track for the transplant on Sept 15, and just putting in my time now, and continuing to gratefully receive all the positive energy and love everyone is sending my way, as it places me in a state of equanimity or unconditional love, to accept these new cells as my own.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Dr Larigakis, We are all praying for you and in admiration of such a positive attitude.You are an inspiration to us all. You are in our thoughts and prayers and we are channelling all of our positive karma and more. You have been so kind and caring to us and we want to return the favour, we can't wait until we see your happy smile again. With much Love Jeff , Sayuri, Taylor and Stephanie Craddock

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Steve,
    I've been following your progress, somewhat silently but religiously!
    Our prayers are for you especially this week.
    If there is anything at all that Rajiv and I can do please do not hesitate.... Caroline has our numbers.
    Even . ... if say you're getting bored on the BMT ward and want to chat with an old , very pregnant friend? :))

    All our blessings,
    Stacy, Rajiv and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a day goes by that you are not in my prayers........ so glad for your postitive thots .... keep it up~!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dr. Larigakis,

    we are so happy to hear you are on the road to a full recovery. We've been following your blog and think of you often, sending very positive thoughts your way!

    Jenny, our oldest, has recently raised almost five thousand dollars single-handedly for the Lymphoma/Leukemia foundation - she will run a half marathon in San Fran. in October. We're pretty proud of her. She is running this for her grammie who had CLL and for you.

    Good luck on Thursday, Steve!! You'll do great.

    All our love,
    Denise, Gary, Jenny and Kristen Branham.

    ReplyDelete