Sunday 25 September 2011

Surprise Visit by R2S Group

Today I received a surprise visit by 25 riders from Team Coastal and Ride to Survive as well as a member of the Delta Retreads Master Swim Club. It looks like it was organized by Vicki Kunzli and Kevin Murphy and involved riders, many who are cancer survivors themselves, starting out in Delta, Richmond, and Vancouver and converging on VGH on this rainy Sunday morning.They positioned themselves outside my room and waved a sign at me, but unbeknownst to them I had been moved to another room invisible to the ground, and instead "Mr Smith" was treated to a dazzling display of spandex.



So Plan B involved leaving the expensive bikes in the care of who knows and riding the elevator to the 15th floor, one away from the penthouse. They waited in the elevator foyer while Kevin roused me from my drug assisted stupour and I met with them properly, fully masked, and attached to my IV pole (Fred) and not sure if I was still dreaming.



Friday was a busy day, too, as I was teleconferenced in to our 25th UBC Medical School Reunion and had a chance to talk to about 50 of my classmates and their spouses and be entertained with slides of fully haired young medical students engaged in silly antics. Marshal Dahl and others did a superb job of organizing. And I learned that just 6 months ago one of our classmates was in the same room as I am now, recovering from an autologous stem cell transplant, and has done well!

Otherwise I am doing fine, counting off the days like a prisoner in a cage, waiting for my white blood cells to recover. I am told that my Libra sign is in Uranus which nicely describes the irritated state of my bowels, which are recovering.

Greetings of course to all my supporters. You keep me going on those dark days. And hats off to good drugs which are welcome too.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve..finally caught up to your blogsite and now am current with your amazing journey...doing it all with your great attitude and strength....Drew and I send our warm thoughts and prayers for your smooth recovery... I miss you at the hospital...Dorothea

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you rest and heal,know that you are thought of
    warmly and wished a quick recover.
    Your name is whispered in our prayers
    From The Omar Family (Shenaz,Adam)

    You Deserve the very best!

    ReplyDelete